Our History

Revision 1.6 Date: 10/30/2018 07:30


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------


Submit (photos, documents & bulletins of Bethsaida Baptist) to: steveposey8@gmail.com


The Church History Group thanks you:)


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------


HIGHLIGHTS:


MEMBERSHIP RECORDS 1890-1974

  • 2017

    • in June Rev. Mike Johnson became pastor.
    • Church Mission Statement published (photo Posey)
  • 1975

    • In June completion of sanctuary expansion, added 4 Sunday School rooms, church office, pastor study, 2 bathrooms and baptistry. Cost was 58 thousand dollars.
    • on June 29th, laying of cornerstone. Mrs. Jan Hayes church clerk placed copy of CHURCH HISTORY OF BETHSAIDA MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH in cornerstone.
  • 1974

    • Rev Harold became pastor.
    • Note burning on New and Reconstructed Building.
  • 1969

    • In October Rev. F.A. Dodd and Verna Dodd deeded to church land east of cemetery.
  • 1964

    • Rev. Scott became pastor.
  • 1960

    • Educational building with 9 rooms, basement fellowship hall and kitchen was built.
  • 1959

    • Rev. Maples became pastor.
  • 1957

    • Bethsaida Community Club October 1957.
  • 1956

    • Rev. Vick became pastor.
    • Bethsaida W.M.U. February 1956
  • 1954

    • Rev. Bryant became pastor.
  • 1953

    • Rev. Hambrick became pastor.
  • 1952

    • Rev. Traylor became pastor.
    • Vacation Bible School 1952.
  • 1950

    • On February 24th 0.5 acres deeded to church by C.R. and Mary L. King. Cost was 50 dollars.
  • 1947

    • Rev. Harvey became pastor
  • 1945

    • June 29th plot of land was deeded to church by J.W. and Eddie Roy (Lee) Smith. 
  • 1942

    • Rev. Broadwell became pastor.
  • 1939

    • Card Class in Sunday School.
  • 1936

    • Rev. Plunkett became pastor.
    • December 30th plot of land was deeded to church by W.C. and Mattie Mae Chambers. Cost was ten dollars.
  • 1935

    • Rev. Gilliland became pastor.
  • 1931

    • Rev. Will Bruce became pastor.
  • 1928

    • Rev. Herring became pastor.
    • Primary and Junior Sunday School Class September 1928.
  • 1925

    • Rev. Luther became pastor.
  • 1924

    • In August, Miss Ruby Weaver of Arab taught Bible School.
  • 1923

    • Rev White became pastor.
  • 1920

    • First portion of present building was built.
  • 1918

    • Rev Humphries became pastor.
  • 1916

    • Rev. Garrett became pastor.
    • Rev Garrett baptizing at Aldrige Pond between Bethsaida and Sardis.
  • 1908

    • Rev. Haley became pastor.
  • 1905

    • In September, two plots of land 35 by 140 yards from Smith family deeded to church. Cost was 10 dollars for each plot.
  • 1901

    • Rev. Price became pastor.
  • 1898

    • Mr. Barrett became church clerk.
  • 1895

    • New building erected across road from log building . This building stood by the aid of pole props.
  • 1890

    • Delegates were sent to Marshall Baptist Association from Bethsaida.
    • Rev. Owens became pastor.
  • 1886

    • Bethsaida Missionary Baptist Church, was organized on site where Sardis Missionary Baptist Church had been organized.
    • Rev. G. M. Miller in some publications noted as moderator of organizational meeting.
    • Charter member list not available due to fire which destroyed these records.
    • Building used by both church groups was pioneer log type. Used as School and church. Lumber donated by John Smith. Building stood in front of present cemetery.

REFERENCES

  • BETHSAIDA BAPTIST CHURCH alive and well, Keeps Telling The Story: Mark 16:15
  • CHURCH HISTORY OF BETHSAIDA MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH published 1974