Our History

Revision 1.6 Date: 10/30/2018 07:30

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Submit (photos, documents & bulletins of Bethsaida Baptist) to: steveposey8@gmail.com

The Church History Group thanks you:)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

HIGHLIGHTS:

MEMBERSHIP RECORDS 1890-1974 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CLICK HERE FOR EARLY YEARS

2018

2017

  • in June Rev. Mike Johnson became pastor.
  • Church Mission Statement published (photo Posey)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2016

2015

2014

2013

2012

2011

2010

1984

1975

  • In June completion of sanctuary expansion, added 4 Sunday School rooms, church office, pastor study, 2 bathrooms and baptistry. Cost was 58 thousand dollars.
  • on June 29th, laying of cornerstone. Mrs. Jan Hayes church clerk placed copy of CHURCH HISTORY OF BETHSAIDA MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH in cornerstone.

1974

  • Rev Harold became pastor.
  • Note burning on New and Reconstructed Building.











 











 

1969

  • In October Rev. F.A. Dodd and Verna Dodd deeded to church land east of cemetary.

1964

  • Rev. Scott became pastor.

1960

  • Educational building with 9 rooms, basement fellowship hall and kitchen was built.

1959

  • Rev. Maples became pastor.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1957

  • Bethsaida Community Club October 1957.

1956

  • Rev. Vick became pastor.
  • Bethsaida W.M.U. February 1956

1954

  • Rev. Bryant became pastor.

1953

  • Rev. Hambrick became pastor.

1952

  • Rev. Traylor became pastor.
  • Vacation Bible School 1952.

1950

  • On February 24th 0.5 acres deeded to church by C.R. and Mary L. King. Cost was 50 dollars.

1947

  • Rev. Harvey became pastor

1945

  • June 29th plot of land was deeded to church by J.W. and Eddie Roy (Lee) Smith. 

1942

  • Rev. Broadwell became pastor.

1939

  • Card Class in Sunday School.


1936

  • Rev. Plunkett became pastor.
  • December 30th plot of land was deeded to church by W.C. and Mattie Mae Chambers. Cost was ten dollars.

1935

  • Rev. Gilliland became pastor.

1931

  • Rev. Will Bruce became pastor.

1928

  • Rev. Herring became pastor.
  • Primary and Junior Sunday School Class September 1928.

 

1925

  • Rev. Luther became pastor.

1924

  • In August, Miss Ruby Weaver of Arab taught Bible School.

1923

  • Rev White became pastor.

1920

  • First portion of present building was built.

1918

  • Rev Humphries became pastor.

1916

  • Rev. Garrett became pastor.

  • Rev Garrett baptizing at Aldrige Pond between Bethsaida and Sardis.

1908

  • Rev. Haley became pastor.

1905

  • In September, two plots of land 35 by 140 yards from Smith family deeded to church. Cost was 10 dollars for each plot.

1901

  • Rev. Price became pastor.

1898

  • Mr. Barrett became church clerk.

1895

  • New building erected across road from log building . This building stood by the aid of pole props.

1890

  • Delegates were sent to Marshall Baptist Association from Bethsaida.
  • Rev. Owens became pastor.



1886

  • Bethsaida Missionary Baptist Church, was organized on site where Sardis Missionary Baptist Church had been organized.
  • Rev. G. M. Miller in some publications noted as moderator of organizational meeting.
  • Charter member list not available due to fire which destroyed these records.
  • Building used by both church groups was pioneer log type. Used as School and church. Lumber donated by John Smith. Building stood in front of present cemetery.

CLICK HERE FOR RECENT YEARS

-----------------------------------------------------

REFERENCES

    • BETHSAIDA BAPTIST CHURCH alive and well, Keeps Telling The Story: Mark 16:15
    • CHURCH HISTORY OF BETHSAIDA MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH published 1974